Insomnia is both a partial and complete lack of sleep. It can occur in healthy people with fatigue or over-stimulation of the nervous system, it can be a self-diagnosed and even a symptom of some other disease. If insomnia lasts more than one month, this is already a significant reason for going to a specialist, since the longer the insomnia lasts, the more difficult is the process of its treatment.
Insomnia treatment can be carried out in various ways, but often the use of drugs becomes inevitable. The modern pharmaceutical industry annually produces more and more advanced treatments for insomnia. All of them differ in price, composition and method of influence on the human body.
Medicines used to treat insomnia
Drugs for insomnia have a pronounced effect and, unlike the above remedies, are recommended only if you really have time for a good sleep. They are not advised to take them if you need to wake up at night and are strictly forbidden to take them, if you may have to get behind the wheel in the next few hours.
- Ambien: The original Ambien effectively helps to fall asleep and CR is its enhanced version. It helps to fall asleep for 15-30 minutes. It is not recommended to take Ambien if you are not sure that you can sleep for the required amount of time for at least 7-8 hours. The average retail price of this drug is $69.09, but you can save your money with using Ambien coupon from RX24drugs. The Food and Drug Administration approved the use of an oral spray that contains the Ambien active ingredient for treatment for a short period of time.
- Lunesta: Lunesta helps you fall asleep quickly and, as the study showed, a person sleeps for 7-8 hours. It is not recommended to take Lunesta if you are not sure that you can sleep the required number of hours. And in the case of medication and the lack of the required amount of sleep in the morning you will feel lethargy and fatigue.
- Rozerem: a new drug that acts completely differently. It affects sleep-wakefulness, without causing depression of the central nervous system. This medicine is recommended for those who find it difficult to fall asleep. Rozerem is approved for long-term use. There is no evidence that this medicine may cause addiction.
- Sonata: one of the new drugs that is rapidly eliminated from the body. This means that at first you can try to fall asleep on your own. If at 2 am you still cannot sleep a wink, you can take this medicine and, in the morning, there will be no side effects, such as drowsiness. However, if you need to wake up at night, then this medicine is not recommended.
- Benzodiazepines: This is a hypnotic of the previous generation (Halcion, Restoril, and others). They are taken, if necessary, so that the medicine remains and continues to act in the body for a long time. For example, such drugs have been effectively used to treat sleep disorders such as sleepwalking and night terrors. However, this medicine may cause a feeling of drowsiness and weakness the next day. In addition, this medicine can be addictive, which means that you will constantly need it.
- Antidepressants: Insomnia is a common symptom of depression. Consequently, some antidepressants, such as trazodone (Desyrel), are effective in treating insomnia and stress caused by depression.
- OTC: Most sleeping pills are antihistamine. They effectively fight insomnia, but can cause drowsiness the next day. In addition, if you are taking other medications that also contain an antihistamine (for example, drugs for cold or allergies), you can inadvertently take a larger dose of antihistamine than is acceptable.
Sleeping pills new generation without benzodiazepines. Insomnia is usually characterized by difficulty falling asleep and frequent waking at night.
Drugs of the new generation, acting on the sleep center in the brain, provide an even deep sleep for 6-7 hours and retain all its phases. These drugs do not give side effects in the form of drowsiness the next day and do not cause addiction. Unlike benzodiazepines, they otherwise affect the sleep center and do not cause muscle relaxation, which can be a problem for people with breathing difficulties.