The worst forms of cancer you should know about
Cancer is the growth of abnormal cells in certain body parts and can invade adjoining tissues and organs. The medical term for this process is metastasis and is the primary cause of death of cancer.
What causes cancer?
Cancer comes from abnormal tumor cells. These changes are a result of an individual’s genetic factors, lifestyle changes, or exposure to external agents such as:
- Physical carcinogenslike ultraviolet and ionizing radiation
- Chemical carcinogenssuch as asbestos
- Biological carcinogensmainly though infections from certain viruses, bacteria, or parasites
Today, there are more than 100 forms of cancer, some are more common than others, and others are more deadly than others. Some deadlier cancers include:
- Lung and bronchial cancer:It is the top killer cancer in the United States. It is mainly caused by smoking and the use of tobacco products. According to the National cancer institute (NCI), people are more at risk of this cancer as they age.
- Colon and rectal cancer:This cancer grows in the tissues of the colon, whereas rectal cancer appears in the last inches of the large intestine. In most cases, it begins as clumps of small benign cells called polyps that, over time, become cancerous.
- Prostate cancer:These abnormal cells start to grow in the prostate gland, which produces the semifluid that transports sperms. Some types of prostate cancers remain in the gland and are easy to treat, while others spread quickly, making it hard to manage.
- Breast cancer: This cancer usually forms in the ducts that carry milk to the nipple or the glands that produce milk in women. Although common in women, breast cancer has also been reported in men.
- Leukemia:Leukemia may take several forms, but they all involve the body’s blood-forming tissues, such as the bone marrow and lymphatic system. This results in the overproduction of white blood cells.
- Mesothelioma:This is a malignant tumor caused by inhaling asbestos fibers. The fibers settle in the linings of the lungs, abdomen, and heart, causing permanent damage. This cancer is prevalent in industrial settings where workers are exposed to asbestos. Learn more about these symptoms to ensure you stay safe from exposure.
What are the general signs and symptoms?
Cancer symptoms in men and women may include:
- A lump or firm feeling in your breast or under your arm
- Nipple changes or discharge
- Itchy skin, scaly, red, scaly, dimpled, or puckered
- Trouble urinating
- Pain when urinating
- Blood in the urine
- Blood in stool
- Changes in bowel habits
- Pain after eating like heartburn
- Nausea and vomiting
- Appetite changes
- Vision and hearing changes
Early cancer detection increases an individual’s chance of survival as you can be able to start a treatment program before advancement. If you are a cancer patient and your condition is a result of exposure to carcinogens in your work or residential place, you have the right to compensation. With the help of a reputable mesothelioma lawyer, you can get some closure and a settlement, usually in monetary form, to cover your medical expenses and take care of your loved ones.